Advice on Restaurant Insurance

What is restaurant insurance?

Restaurant insurance can protect your restaurant from unexpected claims for loss, damage or accidents that could occur as a result of your business. Restaurant insurance can also include employers’ liability insurance, which is a legal requirement if you employ staff and protects your restaurant if an employee is injured or falls ill as a result of working at the restaurant.

Restaurants can have a number of insurance needs to ensure the business is protected in the event of unexpected claims for losses or damages.

Your restaurant may have food, furniture, and expensive specialist kitchen equipment, which are essential to keep the business running smoothly and might need protecting against theft and damage. Any disruption to a restaurant can be especially damaging too, as your customers rely on your availability.

You’ll need to consider what cover is required to protect against claims from members of the public in the restaurant. If you employ staff you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance.

There are several types of insurance that can help protect your restaurant:

Public liability insurance: If someone becomes ill because of the food you’ve provided, or slips and falls on your premises, you could claim on your insurance to cover any compensation due to them, or any legal costs if they take you to court.

Contents insurance: This typically provides cover for all your stock if there was a break-in or a fire. It can also cover furniture, fittings, tills, kitchen equipment, and possibly freezer contents too. A further option is the protection of any cash on the premises.

Employer’s liability insurance: If you have employees, then this insurance is a legal requirement. It can cover you if any of them is injured or becomes ill as a result of working for you.

Business interruption insurance: This insurance can help cover any loss of income in the event trading is interrupted and at worst you have to close your restaurant for a period of time.

Buildings insurance: If you own the building where your restaurant is located you might want buildings insurance to cover the cost of repairing any damage to the structure of your building, or rebuilding it if necessary.. If you rent the space then your landlord should be responsible for the buildings insurance.

We will be more than happy to answer any questions
or assist
you to arrange your insurance.


Contact Declan on 01-845 4361 or email

ERM Financial Services

Our Expertise, on your side.